International Society for Skiing SafetyBeing safe on the trails is a top concern of people involved in the Snow Sports including Skiing, Boarding and Cross Country. There is code that each person should know when they are on the trails.
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
It is recommended that everyone wear a helmet when participating in alpine snow sports. Check your local and State laws to be sure you’re in legal compliance too.
The CSC strongly supports the concepts of Safe skiing & riding. Here are some links: